Friday, June 18, 2010

Notre Dame Cathedral, Montmarte, Cathedral Sacre Coeur

Although it's cold and we're tired, we've only got 5 days in Paris, so onward we go. After our short rest at Les Deux Magot, we walk through the city towards the Catedral of Notre Dame. This is a pretty walk and we cross over the River Seine to the Right Bank of Paris. The views on the bridge are spectacular!


We arrive at Notre-Dame and I'm in awe of this incredible Gothic masterpiece. Although there was a large crowd gathered outside, we were able to enter without waiting in a long line.


Inside Notre Dame.


~~~

We continue sighseeing and taking in the beautiful sites of Paris for a couple of more hours but it's cold, we're tired and my foot cramped up. Waaaa! I want my room!

We start walking back to the hotel and take a short-cut through the courtyard of the Musee des Louvre, where I MUST sit and rub out the painful knot in my foot. Michael, in keeping with Paprazzi fashion, must snap a photo of me at my best...

Note the controversial glass pyramids which mark the main entrance to the Louvre. This structure was finalized in 1989. Click here for more information about the entrance, it's architect and the controversy.

~~~

After a short nap and much need rest off my feet, we head out again. Our plan is to visit Montmartre and the Cathedral Sacre Coiur. We take the Metro and walk through a commercial neighborhood, which seems to be a fabrics and notions district. Textiles are called "tissues"... There are so many beautiful fabrics, but there no time to sew right now!

When we reach to top of the hill, we are actually at the base of the cathedral, so we must climb an even steeper and higher hill. We opt to take the funicular. Once we reach the steps of the cathedral, we look back and saw a breathtaking view of the city.

This is a popular spot for tourists as well as local love-birds to enjoy the above views and sunset from the steps of the cathedral.

As we walk a little farther up and round the corner, we enter a tree-covered walkway. I look back and I get my first view of the Eiffel Tower way out there in the distance!



Montmartre is filled with painters, vendors, souvenir shops and of course, there is no lack of Crepe makers...you see one every 10 feet! Local painters surround the courtyard cafes and are selling Paris and Eiffel Tower skylines in oil on canvas, watercolors and pencil sketches. They are also sketching headshot portraits of the tourists. Although I want one of Michael and I, we are too impatient to sit for one. So we sit for an early dinner instead and enjoy mussels with "french" fries, escargot and a glass of red wine.


Walking around the winding cobble stone streets...













No comments: